Sunday, September 26, 2010

wabbit season!

On Saturday, the whole family invaded our local county arena and learned all the finer points of rabbit showmanship. I bet you didn't even know there were such things as rabbit shows!



They learned all about grooming, and posing on the show table, and different breeds of rabbit. They learned that they are responsible for their rabbits every day during the fair (ten daily trips to the fairgrounds for us next February, may the good Lord have mercy!) 



And Alexei learned that at rabbit worskshops, anything can happen!



And if you're wondering, here's what occupied the rest of our brood. (And if you're really wondering, there was a 4-H poultry workshop just before the rabbit workshop. Thus the chickens!)





Up until a couple of years ago, I never would have equated rabbits with breed shows. What do you mean there are breeds of rabbit? Like what, pet store rabbit and rabbit fricasee? Who ever heard of such a thing? Believe it or not, there are over 40 distinct breeds recognized by the American Rabbit Breeders Association, including hoppity fellows used for fur, food, and pure companionship. And our two oldest kids picked out their own little pedigreed projects last spring, and will be showing them in 4-H and possibly beyond. They are responsible for feeding, grooming, and training their rabbits, maintaining a project record book which includes a variety of rabbit-themed activities, and keeping track of all the finances for their projects. 4-H also includes opportunities for kids to learn about leadership and citizenship, which are two lifelong skills.


Alexei has an American fuzzy lop, Raney's Toby (aka Fuzzy). I think he looks like a Muppet.


Ibis has a Netherland dwarf, FFC Heathcliff (aka Snowball). He's just a punk. But I love him!



These little furry cuties are also our family pets - I think secretly I have more fun playing with them than the kids. They sit here near my computer and keep me company, and I love their funny personalities. I think I would have fun showing them in ARBA shows but I guess the kids probably wouldn't appreciate me stealing their projects!

Santa, bring ME a bunny for Christmas?

No comments: